Thursday, June 16, 2011

Frida y Estrellas (Frida & Stars) - TREASURY ITEM

I designed these earrings a good two weeks before I made the first pair.  I put them on temporary wires and fell in love right away.  But something kept me from finishing them.  I think my hesitation was due to the fact that I've had the wooden beads for a long time and I know that they are irreplaceable.  The yellow mango beads are also one-of-a-kind. 


I love Frida Kahlo.  I love turquoise.  I absolutely love these earrings.

I bought the wooden beads a few years ago and planned to use them in a necklace that never came to be.  I loved the beads too much to put them all in one piece!  These beads are handcrafted, which means that each one is slightly different, but they all have a starry night-like patten.  And, if I remember correctly, they were made in Indonesia.  I paired them with mango yellow glass beads from Java (on top) and Turquoise beads (on the bottom).  A tiny copper tube bead finishes each earring. 

Something about the turquoise beads (with beautiful black matrices) bring in a Frida Kahlo feeling, which is why I decided to name these "Frida y Estrellas" or "Frida and Stars."  The way the colors combine also make me think of Ms. Kahlo, which also makes them versatile and very wearable.  I sold a pair of these at my line launch, and I had to make a pair for myself, so these earrings are limited edition, as I only have a limited amount of the wooden and Javan beads available. 

Metaphysically speaking:
Turquoise is a powerful healing stone that can help wearers with meditation, balance, and communication.  It is also a protective stone that enhances love, friendship, and loyalty.  Find out more about Turquoise here: http://gemstone-dictionary.com/turquoise.php.

Copper lends energy when one is tired and aids in grounding when one is restless.  Copper also helps enhance non-verbal communication.  Find out more about Copper here: http://gemstone-dictionary.com/copper.php.


No comments:

Post a Comment